Battery power is not something that we’d think about in our daily activities. However, when you plan to go camping, it indeed becomes a major concern. Before you begin your RVing adventure, you need to ensure you have a reliable camper battery with you.
Besides making the adventure smooth, it also gives you the confidence of having fun no matter the area you will go camping. If you are looking for the best travel trailer battery for your next RVing activity, look no further because we have the perfect product for you.
Optima Deep Cycle RV Battery 8016-103 D34M
At the heart of Optima batteries consists of a series of individual spiral-wound cells made up of two pure lead plates with a lead oxide coating. One is negative, and the other is positive. This unique spiral-cell gives a clean and robust power source and guarantees safety for you and your family. It also helps to maintain the close tolerance required to ensure optimal performance and quality.
Having the Optima battery in your RV translates to more recharges than you would get in other traditional batteries and exceptional running time. If your RV has creature comforts that drain the current battery quickly, you need to replace it with Optima battery to realize the full pleasure of your RV. Besides offering exceptional vibration resistance, it provides efficient power delivery and enhanced recharge time, meaning you have more time for fun and less worrying about your battery.
The battery is purposely made for both starting and deep cycle for people requiring a sure-starting, strong cranking and a battery without maintenance costs for their RV even when they are in harsh conditions.
When you are traveling in bad weather, many batteries have the challenge of starting a vehicle. However, the Optima batteries are uniquely designed to give optimal starting power to your RV regardless of the weather.
Higher reserve capacity
The high reserve capacity provides a longer shelf-life so you can have the power you need whenever you need it. Since the battery is specially designed to be used in recreational vehicles, the manufacturer has considered every eventuality that can render the battery unusable. Therefore, it is a reliable battery that you can mount in your RV and explore without worrying.
Optima Deep Cycle RV camper battery offers fifteen times more resistance to vibration for durability.
For many RVers, the size of any item on board is a huge concern. Luckily, the battery is built to consume minimal space in your vehicle while offering enough power.
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 43.5 pounds
- Measurement: 10” x 6 ⅞” x 7 13/16”
- Reserve Capacity: 120 minutes
Pros and Cons
- It’s light
- Has optimal starting power
- Stores charge for a long duration
- Provides clean power source
- Has limited durability
- Some report it dead within 6 months
- Quality seems to be an issue with some of the batteries
WindyNation 100 amp-Hour 100AH Deep Cycle Battery For RV and Off-Grid Applications
WindyNation deep cycle batteries are specially designed to offer off-grid power. They are the perfect choice for RVs since most of the time you will be spending in remote areas where a dependable source of energy comes in handy. The sealed and maintenance-free design is suitable for recreation purposes such as RVing.
The battery also has a non-spillable design that allows it to be used in areas requiring the use of such batteries. If you choose this battery, you will always be on the safe side no matter the location of your adventure.
Despite the number of times the battery gets discharged and recharged it can endure for long making it the best RV battery for people who want to enjoy value for their money.
- 12 Volts, 100aH
- Weight 66 lbs
- Size: 13 x 6.8 x 8.7 inches
Pros and Cons
- It’s durable
- Can withstand extreme temperatures
- Offers good discharge with no voltage drop
- Heavy to carry around
- Some buyer report battery lasted about 6 months
Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery for RV, and Boondocking Applications
The Renogy deep cycle battery is one of the best travel trailer battery specially designed for solar energy storage and RVing purposes. These batteries are completely leak-proof, maintenance-free, and spill-proof. If you are in search of a battery that will meet high-quality performance, then look no further.
It is a reliable battery that you can use for your RVing activity any season of the year. The battery can operate in extreme temperatures ranging from -15 to 50 degrees.
Here are just some of the features of the Renogy Deep Cycle Battery:
The Renogy deep cycle battery is made with Pb-ca alloy, which has the strength to withstand corrosion. Your battery will, therefore, last longer as opposed to other cells in the market.
Strength against high current discharging
If you have had a battery before, you agree that most of them are destroyed by high current discharging. For Renogy, it is optimized to overcome this challenge and give you long-lasting service.
Things to consider while using Renogy deep cycle battery
- Always charge the battery with the recommended voltage and ensure it is fully charged.
- Refrain from over-discharging batteries.
- The recharge capacity should be 1.1 – 1.5 of the discharge capacity.
- Voltage: 12V
- Max Discharge Current: 1200A
- Capacity: 100Ah
- Float charging voltage: 13.5 – 13.8v
- Max charging current: 40A
Pros and Cons
- It’s durable
- Stores power for long
- Some reported terminal to big
- Some reported quality issues
- 10% Re-stocking fee if you have to return
- Ah rating is calculated off a 10HR rate and not 20
Universal Power Group 45978
The UB121000 is a 12V 100 Amp-hour sealed acid battery. Overall it gets very good reviews from buyers. It is a heavy battery weighing 58.9 pounds and measures 12.9 x 7.7 x 10.7 inches.
Some positive reviews indicate this battery can last up to 6 years which pretty good.
The price of this battery is pretty competitive.
Renogy Lithium-Iron Phosphate Battery
- Designed for safety- extremely safe Lithium Iron phosphate cells, fully sealed and sturdy waterproof housing helps keep the battery from leaking or corrosion.
- Extended lifespan- with more than 2000 cycles The service life is more than double that of traditional lead-acid batteries.
- Battery management system (BMS)- the built-in battery protection system optimizes the Battery performance by automatically balancing the cells and providing multiple protections against over-charging, over-discharging, over-current, short-circuit and over-temperature.
- Wide range of applications- widely used in RV, marine and Solar applications.
- Low self-discharge- the Battery self-discharge below 3% per month, providing optimal longevity and shelf life.
This battery is expensive however it is an extremely safe battery due to the Lithium Iron rather than lead-acid. It has an extended lifespan almost twice the length of traditional lead-acid batteries.
How long should RV batteries last?
If you are planning to purchase an RV battery, it is imperative to understand the lifespan of batteries and factors affecting their durability. This is crucial to determine whether you are spending a lot of batteries or you are within the right expenditure brackets. Frequent replacing of batteries puts pressure on your budget.
Batteries are essential RV equipment that does not have a specific duration for which they’ll last. This is because there are many factors at play. However, on average, an RV battery should last between 4-5 years.
Does a generator charge an RV battery?
One of the worst experiences is the loss of power due to a dead RV battery. The life of RV battery power is determined by how well you charge the battery. Many batteries are charged by a generator with a 12v connector. The following is a stepwise procedure on how to charge your RV battery using a generator.
- Ensure the generator has enough fuel
- Turn off your RV’s engine and engage the emergency brake to avoid an accident
- Find out where your RV batteries are located
- Check the batteries’ condition and look for any signs of corrosion. Proceed to clean the battery terminals
- If the electrolyte level is low, top it off with distilled water
- Reconnect the cables and while ensuring they are on the right terminals. Use a wrench to fasten them
- If there are any connections in your RV such as lights, turn them off and unplug all electric devices
- Connect the generator to the RV battery system so it can start charging.
Having a reliable battery in your RV is going to give you peace of mind when you travel. This is especially important if you are camping off-grid also known as RV boondocking. The RV batteries reviewed above are all excellent camper batteries that will serve you well.