In this post, we are going to learn how to fold a travel trailer cover. Travel trailer covers also know as camper or RV covers are not cheap so it’s important that you use them properly so they don’t tear. Folding a travel trailer cover is just as important in order to avoid damage and mildew which can quickly ruin your investment.
- First off you need to make sure the conditions are right if you are going to fold your camper cover outside. Avoid taking down and folding your RV cover is high winds. Pick a day when the wind is calm. The last thing you want is to be fighting the winds as you try to fold your cover. Winds die down during the night so you might try finding a well-lit parking lot.
- Choose ground space that is fairly clear of debris or dirt. If there is a nice grassy area that might work or nearby pavement will work as well as long as it is clean and dirt free.
- Make sure your cover is dry and free of moisture before you begin to fold it. If the cover is wet when you fold and store it you’ll end up with mildew
- Enlist the help of a friend or spouse to assist you with folding the cover. As they say two heads or ins this case 4-arms and legs are better than two.
Caution: DO NOT attempt to fold the cover on the roof of your RV. It is highly unsafe and too easy to fall off and get seriously hurt.
How To Fold a Travel Trailer Cover
- Lay the travel trailer cover on the ground
- Fold the cover in half lengthwise or fold the long ends towards the middle
- Continue folding until the cover is about 2′ to 3′ wide
- Fold in a Z (zigzag) fashion in about 1 1/2′ to 2′ sections
- Continue zigzag folding until you have a rectangle 2′ to 3′ by 1.5′ to 2′
- As you fold pat the cover down with your hands to remove air that might get trapped inside
- Afterward, sit on it to flatten it down as much as you can
How To Fold You Travel Trailer Cover Video Instruction
In this video “The Average Dan” shows you how he folds his RV cover. It follows all the steps above other than folding in a zigzag. Here Dan just rolls the cover into a tube-shape to store it. Personally I prefer the zigzag method since it can be stored somewhat flat in my garage on a shelf.
PS: The zigzag method is like folding the American flag. Check out this Wikihow article to learn how to do that.
How To Fold a Travel Trailer Cover Summary
Folding your travel trailer cover shouldn’t be difficult if you follow the instructions above. Even though you can do it alone it will a lot easier if you can get someone to help you.
Last Updated on